2 1/2 c flour 2 t sugar
1/2 t soda 1/2 t salt
1/2 c butter 1 pkt yeast
7/8 c buttermilk
Combine flour, sugar, soda and salt.
Add butter and crumble into the mixture.
Mix buttermilk with yeast and let sit for 5 min. Add to mixture. Knead til dough is well-formed.
Roll on floured surface, 1 in thick. cut into desired shape.
Place on greased pan or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Let rise for 30 minutes. bake at 375 for 15 min.
For my valentine I made this old-fashioned shortcake that was inspired by a recipe found at: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/berry-shortcake.
I added a teaspoon of vanilla for extra flavor.
For the sour cream I used fat-free half & half and added a Tblspoon of vinegar to neutralize the baking soda.
I used my fingertips to press the dough gently into the heart-shaped pan. Baking time was about 20 minutes. I based it on desired color and not the toothpick test.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream (or Fat-free half n half + 1 T vinegar)
1 t vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine vanilla, milk and sour cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a greased 9-in. pie plate (batter will be thick). Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut into six wedges and top with berries sweetened with a small amount of sugar. Garnish with whipped cream.
Toñas de Valencia
2 cups flour
1 envelope of yeast
1/4 cup milk, warm (or orange juice)
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c sunflower oil (or 1 stick butter, melted and cooled)
zest of one orange
1 t vanilla and 1 t anise
1/2 t of salt
One egg yolk mixed with 2 T milk
1 c dried fruit (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk or oj and add to flour. mix well.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, salt, butter, zest, vanilla and anise. add fruit. Add to flour and stir in well. Knead for five minutes.
- Let stand in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Form one or two cakes, or small rolls. place on greased baking sheet (or parchment paper). brush with yolk mixture, let stand 15 minutes in oven.
- Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes, depending on size.
- Three minutes before end of baking, brush again with the yolk and sprinkle with icing sugar (sugar optional).
these can also be made into small rolls.
I have modified this recipe to create my own version: