Toñas de Valencia
2 cups flour
1 envelope of yeast
1/4 cup milk, warm (or orange juice)
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c sunflower oil (or 1 stick butter, melted and cooled)
zest of one orange
1 t vanilla and 1 t anise
1/2 t of salt
One egg yolk mixed with 2 T milk
1 c dried fruit (optional)
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk or oj and add to flour. mix well.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, salt, butter, zest, vanilla and anise. add fruit. Add to flour and stir in well. Knead for five minutes.
- Let stand in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Form one or two cakes, or small rolls. place on greased baking sheet (or parchment paper). brush with yolk mixture, let stand 15 minutes in oven.
- Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes, depending on size.
- Three minutes before end of baking, brush again with the yolk and sprinkle with icing sugar (sugar optional).
these can also be made into small rolls.
I have modified this recipe to create my own version: